Vanilla custard and rum spiked apples layered between flaky puff pastry layers. Your cheaterbug dessert to impress your friends.
Why cheaterbug? Because I used store bought puff pastries. YES, store bought. SUE ME. I get lazy from time to time alright! I DESERVE THIS BREAK after my croissant baking adventure. Heh heh.
Anyway, with the tedious process of pastry making out the way we can now focus on the other two elements which is the cooked apples and custard. There are three parts to it but it is really quick to make! TRUST ME!
Prep time: 1/2 hour
Cook time: 1 hr
Serves: 4-6 pax
This recipe makes 2 medium sized rectangular strudels.
Rum spiked apples
3 medium sized green apples, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon powder
Splash of rum
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add in cubed apples (smaller size works better for me), together with sugar and cinnamon powder.
- Cook apples still lightly browned and add in the splash of rum (or lots). Simmer apples till not much liquid left, remove from heat and cool.
500 ml milk
30g corn starch
3 egg yolks
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- In a big bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar till colour is a light-yellow.
- In a small pot, simmer milk (do not boil) and remove from heat.
- Slowly stream hot milk into egg yolk mixture, while constantly stirring to prevent the egg yolk from cooking and forming lumps.
- Add in cornstarch and vanilla extract.
- Pour milk mixture back into pot and continue to cook until thickened, stirring consistently.
It is thick when you draw your finger on the back of the wooden spoon and there's a clear line.
If the custard is still thin, you can add another 5-10g of cornstarch during the cooking process. Note that the custard will solidify slightly when chilled.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl, place a cling wrap immediately over the custard. Be sure to stick the cling wrap literally on the custard itself so that a skin won't form over it. Chill it in the fridge once it has slightly cooled.
You can make the custard the day before and put in the fridge so that it's already chilled when you assemble and serve.
Store bought puff pastry
- FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AT THE BACK OF YOUR PACKAGING. LOL
- Cut into 4 even rectangular slices or however you like it.
- Brush the layers with egg wash
Place one layer of puff pastry for the base, with the back of the spoon, slightly press into the centre along the length of the puff pastry. This gives a "trench" for the custard to rest in. Then, layer it with custard and top with apples.
Layer another puff pastry and top with icing sugar.
Fridge it overnight before serving (Unless your custard is already chilled).