NOW YOU CAN HAVE MY BUNZ 🍑 Kinda like those spicy chilli wontons but if you wanna make your life slightly more difficult, make these!! The filling and sauce are similar. Just that you're gonna make the skin from scratch and pleat the shit out of it. WE AIN'T DING TAI FUNG chef (although maybe some of you DTF HAHAHA) so it may take you a few buns to get the hang of it. Youtube how to do it! BUT TRUST ME, IT IS SO SATISFYING AND A GREAT WAY TO LIVE THE LOCKDOWN LYF 😒.
Also, I've concluded that Dim Sum is basically just pork and prawns made in different forms. Minced/whole and then fried/steamed. Just mix up these combi and you get Dim Sum.
生煎包 PAN FRIED BUNS RECIPE
Prep time: 1.5hrs
Makes about 15 medium size buns
-250g plain flour
-150ml lukewarm water
-1 tsp instant yeast
1. Mix the yeast and water together, let this sit for 5 mins till frothy
2. In a mixing bowl, add the yeast water into flour and knead the dough until a smooth ball is formed. Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1.5hr.
-350g minced pork
-3 Shitake mushrooms, diced finely
-3 bunches of spring onions, sliced thinly
-2 large splashes light soy sauce
-A splash of sesame oil
-Generous amount of Five Spice Powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- White pepper
Mix these ingredients together and set aside
Mix some chilli paste, black vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil together.
3. Once dough is proofed, divide dough into 25g each. Roll each into balls and then flatten it out THINLY with a rolling pin
4. Add about 1.5 tbsp filling into the center of each wrapper skin and pleat (youtube how to do this). Pinch the tip to close.
5. In a medium-pan on medium heat , heat the some oil. Place the dumplings in the pan to char brown the bottom of the bunz.
6. Once browned, pour some water into the pan enough to cover abt 1cm of the base of the bunz. Cover with a lid and let this steam for 5-10 mins, until the water is absorbed.
7. Add more water if need be. Bunz should feel slightly bouncy to the touch during the cooking process to help determine if it's cooked.
8. Drizzle sauce over dem bunz!